Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
The Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Travel Section is located at the VA Financial Services Center (FSC) in Austin, Texas. We recognize relocation can be a very stressful event for employees and their families. Making your relocation a success is our goal and we are committed to providing you world class customer service during your move.
A PCS relocation requires a significant amount of coordination and planning by multiple individuals and organizations. The PCS Travel Section provides step-by-step assistance to employees from their decision to accept a new position to the settlement of their final relocation claim. Our services include: provide support and guidance to stations on initiating and completing the Intra-Agency Transfer Request (3918); provide PCS entitlement counseling to the relocating employee, establish the travel authority (3036c), record obligations, facilitate advances and bills of collection processes. PCS Travel is also the liaison for Move Management, Relocation Services and Real Estate Reasonableness Review. Our staff will assist with the relocation voucher process, performing audit and payment of vouchers in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations, Board of Appeal decisions and agency policies. As part of the payment process, we ensure accurate updates of the associated accounting records and generate payment information to Treasury in a timely manner.
Below please find several guides and links relating to various aspects of your relocation, as well as a PCS contact list for your reference. If at any time during your relocation you need guidance or assistance, please contact us so we can make your relocation as smooth as possible.
On December 6th, 2011 Prudential Relocation, our relocation services contractor, announced their acquisition by Brookfield Residential Property Services, an affiliate Brookfield Asset Management Inc. Brookfield is a US based company, and with the addition of Prudential, is consirdered the world's second largest employee relocation services provider.
As of April 18th, 2012 a modification to our relocation services contract, recognizing the name change from Prudential Relocation to Brookfield Global Relocation Services, is complete. Only the contractor's company name has changed; all other contract elements remain the same. The Appraised Value Offer (AVO) and Buyer Value Option (BVO) program requirements are unaffected. Brookfield Relocation will continue to adminster our home sale programs with the same level of excellent customer service and relocation industry expertise.
Several changes to the Federal Travel Regulations took effect August 1, 2011. The changes include, but are not limited to:
• The timeframe to incur expenses for a PCS move is 1 year from the employee’s report date, with possible 1 year extension.
• The House Hunting Trip Actual method calculation will utilize the CONUS rate ($77 lodging/$46 MI&E), not the locality rate.
• For House Hunting, an employee should drive if the distance between duty stations is 75-250 miles. An employee should fly if the distance is over 250 miles.
• The Fixed method of reimbursement will now be called the Lump Sum method.
• Household goods storage will be allowed for 60 days with a possible 90 day extension.
• Mileage distance to qualify for move: the new official station must be 50 miles further from an employee's current residence than the old official station is from same residence.
• For shipment of a Privately Owned Vehicle, an employee must relocate 600 miles or more. The Authorizing Official may approve 1 POV, with the possibility of 1 additional POV.
• An employee will claim Temporary Quarters Lump Sum method payment prior to entering Temporary Quarters.
• The Miscellaneous Expense Allowance has increased from $500 to $650 for employees with no dependents and from $1000 to $1300 for employees with dependents (effective 7/18/2011).
• The mileage rate for driving a POV has increased to 23.5 cents/mile (effective 7/1/2011).
PCS Travel Help Desk
Toll Free - 800-521-1985
Direct - 512-460-5125
Fax - 512-460-5103
Points of Contact
877-418-0744 (select 0 for assistance)
Brookfield Pre-Decision Team
Agent in Charge of PCS Travel
Backup Agent in Charge of PCS Travel
Fax Number for Submission of Travel Authority for Permanent Duty
VA Form 3036c