Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Graphic for the Veterans Crisis Line. It reads Veterans Cris Lins 1 800 273 8255 press 1
My healthevet badge

VA-FSC Internet


At FSC, we provide a full service travel package with our Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel Services. Our PCS services are centralized to provide you a one stop shop for all your relocation needs.

CS services we offer:

  • Establish, process, and amend travel authorities
  • Personalized Counselors
  • Maintain an audit trail and history of each move
  • Complete audit services
  • Professional, courteous Help Desk support for all travel-related issues

PCS Travel functions:

  • Process all move requests
  • Establish the travel authority
  • Record and monitor obligations, advances and bills of collections (if applicable)
  • Provide complete audit services
  • Provide counseling to the employee throughout the move

Click here to visit our PCS Travel website.

TDY benefits of doing business with us:

  • Record obligations, travel advances, and travel vouchers in a timely manner
  • Audit vouchers for compliance with travel regulations and GSA decisions
  • Issue prompt payments
  • Provide detailed audits of all travel vouchers based on customer criteria
  • Dedicated and knowledgeable staff for all travel-related issues

TDY Travel features:

  • Electronic submission of travel authorities and vouchers
  • Complete audit of all documents and receipts
  • Notification of suspended items
  • Prompt reimbursement


  • What does your TDY services offer over the competition?
    • The Financial Services Center offers a end-to-end travel, Web-based travel system which automatically allows users to arrange travel, book reservations, submit travel expenses and reconcile payments. Our professional, courteous staff provides assistance to all travelers regarding entitlements and regulatory guidance. We provide audits of documents based on customer criteria.
  • How do I reserve my airfare and rental car?
    • The Financial Services Center offers an end-to-end travel, Web-based travel system which automatically allows users to arrange travel, book reservations, submit travel expenses and reconcile payments..
  • How long does it take to get paid after submission of voucher?
    • The Web-based travel system provides submission of travel expenses into the accounting system, once approved by the authorizing official. Payment is generated automatically and sent to Treasury for disbursement.
  • What if I have questions, regarding my TDY entitlements?
    • The Financial Services Center offers a professional, courteous help desk that provides assistance regarding entitlements and usage of the Web-based travel system. Phone Number: 1-866-533-0188.
  • What does your PCS service offer over the competition?
    • The Financial Services Center offers a complete, comprehensive relocation process with professional, courteous personal counselors. The cradle-to-grave service provides counseling, assistance with household goods shipment, sale and purchase of real estate, audit of claims, and reimbursement of expenses. We provide a complete, comprehensive tracking and reconciliation package that offers reporting capability.
  • Do you assist with home sales?
    • We offer home sale assistance, destination services, rental assistance, mortgage referral assistance, and marketing assistance dependent upon the organizational entitlement package.
  • What are your hours of operation?
    • Our help desk is available Monday - Friday, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm (Central Standard Time). We also provide emergency assistance if necessary. Phone Number: 1-800-521-1985.
  • Do I claim moving expenses as income?
    • When you file your claims for reimbursement, our professional staff will calculate the tax withholding before reimbursement is made. Some of the moving expenses are considered income and must be reflected on your W-2. Your personal counselor will provide guidance on each entitlement and the tax liability during the counseling process.
  • Can my spouse act as my representative during the move process?
    • Your spouse may act as the representative with the appropriate authorization.
  • We make sure you receive assistance from start to finish. We ensure all your audit and payment vouchers are in accordance with FTR and Comptroller General decisions, accurately update the associated accounting records, and generate payment information to Treasury in a timely manner.